gayharlem



LogCabin.jpg


The Patagonia

The Patagonia was called Pod’s and Jerry’s after its owners, Jeremiah Preston and Charles “Pod” Hollingsworth. It opened around 1925 on 133rd and 7th Avenue and functioned as a speak-easy during the prohibition. Billie Holiday sang her first gig here and later played the club with Bobby Henderson.

After the repeal of prohibition in 1933 the club was renamed The Log Cabin, which is how it appears on the 1932 map above.



Resources:

The Log Cabin located on a map of Harlem nightclubs in 1932
http://bigthink.com/ideas/22867

The Rise and Fall of the Original Swing Street
http://www.nypress.com/article-12372-the-rise-fall-of-the-original-swing-street.html