gayharlem



Audubon Ballroom and Casino3940 Broadway between 165th and 166th Streets
audubon.jpg
The Audubon Casino location (today)
Opened in 1912 by William Fox, the Audubon was responsible for bringing vaudeville and movies to Washington Heights and Inwood. It also served as a venue for jazz, as the second floor was a ballroom for special occasions and special events. It was used in the 1950s as a place to hold a variety of entertainment events such as New York’s Mardi Gras Festival (witha king and queen of Harlem every year). In attendance and performing many of the Audubon’s events were famous jazz artists: singer, Al Jolson; drummer, Arthur Zutty Singleton, and trumpeter, Henry Red Allen.

Back to Home Page